Sweet Potato Mushroom Quinoa Burger Featuring Herb Mix
Makes 6 burgers
1 c. Sweet potato, mashed
1 c. Quinoa, cooked
4 c. Mushrooms, diced
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp gochujang (Korean Red Chili Paste)
0.5 tsp maple syrup
6 burger buns
4 tbsp Kewpie or mayo or a vegan mayo
2 tsp gochujang (Korean Red Chili Paste)
1 green onion stalk, finely sliced
- Prep your sweet potato by baking or boiling. The method doesn’t matter as long as you can mash it.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Dice mushrooms by hand or use a food processor and pulse until diced.
- Dice your onion and mince your garlic.
- In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, gochujang, and maple syrup.
- Heat a pan on medium-low heat and add olive oil. Sauté your onions and garlic until soft and translucent then add the diced mushrooms. Let the mushrooms cook for a bit. They will start to release their liquid but don’t worry, it will cook off. Once most of the liquid has cooked off add your soy sauce mixture to the mushrooms. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are soft and the liquid has thickened a little bit/cooked off.
- Take the mushrooms off the heat and let them cool.
- While your sweet potato, quinoa, and mushrooms cool, mix together the kewpie (or mayo substitute), gochujang, and green onion. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Once your sweet potato, quinoa, and mushroom have cooled, combine all three in a bowl.
- Using your hands, divide the mixture into 6 and shape into burgers.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake for 20 minutes.
- Heat a pan on medium-low heat, drizzle some olive oil into the pan and place your burgers in the pan. The ingredients in these burgers are already cooked so this is to give the burgers a nice charred colour and add some extra flavour. About 5 minutes on each side.
- If you want you can heat your burger buns in the oven or put them under the broiler for a minute or two. Slather some of the gochujang mayo onto the buns, place a burger patty on top, then add a generous handful of Micro YYC Herb Mix.
- To save yourself some time, prepare your sweet potato and quinoa in advance.
- Feel free to add all your favourite burger toppings. Get creative! I personally can’t eat a burger without pickles.
Recipe and Video by Ellen Sullivan